There are plenty of homeowners out there who are quite handy, and can handle most interior and exterior improvement projects on their own. A simple trip to the hardware store is all they need to finish many projects. If you fall in that camp and you worry you need a new roof, you may be considering trying to do it all on your own. However, that may not be the best choice.
Here are some reasons why do it yourself roofing is not a prudent endeavor:
- Roofs are the most important part of your home, and a mistake or oversight when installing a new roof could prove costly and reduce the overall value of your property.
- Although you may think you’re saving money, it may not be the case if you’re completely redoing your roof. The reason being is professional roofers have the experience and training to find cost saving measures, and locate ways to efficiently get the job done. And if something goes awry, your overall costs will keep rising as you have to buy additional materials.
- When you work with a professional roofing contractor, you obtain warranties, protecting yourself in the case that something goes amiss.
- Roof replacement, especially tearing it off is dangerous, especially if you don’t have the right equipment and training. Plus, weather is the ultimate variable and can make things even trickier.
- You might miss an underlying issue, that could lead to further and more expensive problems down the road.
Those are just some of the many reasons why trying to replace a roof on your own is risky, even for the best handymen and handywomen among us.